Saturday, September 25, 2010

A good change

I had a fight with my husband last night ... the reasons for the fight aren't important so much as how I responded to them.

The old me: on finding out at 6:10pm that I can't cook the meal I had planned for dinner wants to pull out a green chicken curry (with rice) from the freezer and have that and most of a bottle of red wine for dinner followed by chocolate. If my husband had been where I needed him to be he could have brought home the missing ingredient for dinner (I can't get to the shops because I have two kids in bed and one getting ready for bed) and it all would have been fine. So for my lack of planning I punish myself with calorie dense food and empty calories of wine to ruin any success i've had so far. Of course by the time my husband gets home the wine has dulled my anger and I sweep it under the carpet (so to speak).

The new me: on finding out at 6:10pm that I can't cook the meal I had planned for dinner I choose to pull out some leftover 12WBT soup (creamy cauliflower) and eat that. When my husband does get home I confront him with my disappointment and storm out of the house (not ideal) but instead of heading to the bar for a drink or coffee shop for cake I take a 4km walk to clear my head and come home and talk things over with him over a cup of black tea. The end result is that issues are resolved, true feelings known and support is offered.

I am amazed at how a "diet" can change the way I approach these red flag situations and ultimately get me through them with minimal damage - Thanks Mish!

No comments:

Post a Comment